Ireland Journal
Days 5-6-7-8
 |
| St. Mary's
Church, Dingle |
Dingle
Having explored Ballyferriter on Monday, for Tuesday and Wednesday I
drive Janet into Dingle, (Daingean Uí Chúis, or An Daingean) and stay to
explore; by Wednesday I am confident enough driving that we bring along
fellow students. During my time here I find: (4) grocers, (2) hostels,
post office, (small) thrift store, hardware, library, park, free
parking, internet cafe, (2) chemists (pharmacies), tourist office, (2)
laundries, the language school class, the secondary school, the former
hospital. Pubs, restaurants, and gift shops are too many to count or
care.
A few places are memorable -- Foxy Johns is a cluttered bike repair and
tool shop during the day, and a small pub at night. The movie theater
also sells and rents dvd movies. A small stream runs through town,
supporting unexpected plants and a couple of B&B's.
The Friday farmers market is small but vibrant, tasty, diverse with
baked goods and cheeses and French pates and sausage sandwiches;
surprisingly though, in mid July fresh produce is little more than
carrots, onions, and potatoes.

Early on I buy a small leather coinpurse from a impoverished small
thrift store that for a few days I will like greatly and then loose. In
many places I stop and ponder, frame, point, click the camera, click
again. I can't claim to take these pictures, for on Thursday the images
I capture will, with the coinpurse, free themselves: scenes of the town
-- the streets, the water, the churches; and of plants -- small ferns
growing out of old walls and fuschias growing over them, invasive stands
of Japanese knotweed and butterfly bush that crowd the stream flowing
through town. No matter. I also locate maps to digest and make my own,
as well as to give away.

Over
the next two days and a third one Friday, (these photos all from
then), I will learn the basics of Dingle, but it is harder to like it,
a tourist mob scene of people wandering in and out of stores that are
hawking wares, and merchants aiming to make some Euros off us and be
pleasant about it. Occasionally I get a look behind the mirror -- the
thrift store, the weary old men, the hot harried laundress, the stone
walls that are facade on cinder block. Dingle is a town overrun by the
tourist trade at its worst, everchanging mobs of people and the
constant jockeying of traffic and parking that interferes with the
commerce it is supposed to help.
To be fair, there are scenes in Dingle I like a great deal -- out of the
way places away from the craziness of tourist commerce. An almost hidden
walkway near Janet's school leads me to a Madonna whose back is turned
away from the din as well, the end of a dead-end street by a unassuming
green-space.

For
Janet Dingle is different. Her class of 8 beginners are all non- Irish
-- German, French, Russian, American. They meet in a large room with old
covered sofas, a long teaching table, a sink, some computers. On Tuesday
Janet and I meet for lunch at the Dingle school, place chairs outside.
In the time it takes me to go buy a lunch she eats hers. She does not
mind eating alone -- her brain is full and the quiet is good. In the
afternoon I again meet her and the class, and walk to a nearby church
and chapel. The chapel is filled with stained glass paintings by
Harry
Clarke, a well known glass artist of the early and mid twentieth
century. While I retrieve the car Janet waits in the church; together we
fuel it, pick up the laundry, and return to Ballyferriter for dinner and
evening activities.

On Wednesday Janet and I again meet for lunch, only this time I have
mine. A simple lunch is so easy, because every small grocer sells
wonderful cheese and excellent brown bread. We walk a couple of blocks
to a choice park hidden behind a gate and wall and visited only by a few
locals, (and rare curious tourists who boldly explore around at the same
church we visited yesterday, or watch a child play on the swing with her
parent. Janet and I return to her class, and then I visit the library,
make an effort to look at and transfer photos from the camera. The
effort fails, so instead I look at email. In hindsight I would instead
have spent a bit of time and money at the internet cafe, but I did not.
Again after class we opt out of the Dingle hubbub and return to
Ballyferriter.
No comments:
Post a Comment