Days 3 - 4
First days in Ballyferriter
13 July
I find the travel office. Maps maps maps I find one, I find another. I am accompanied out the door in the correct direction. I have time. I find a bookstore. I find the right bus stop at the right time to travel on to Shannon Airport. But from here I get no further.
Did the bus come and I not see it, was it late and I impatient? No matter. I have a phone. It is unfamilar, but I have a phone. The phone will not defeat me. I will triumph. I call the hotel. Janet is in the lobby. Small victories. I get a taxi back to the hotel. Success is in sight.
Hurriedly we complete our packing, say goodbyes and continue our lift to the airport. This driver also is helpful, enjoyable. He leaves us at Hertz and Janet waits with our luggage while I find one of the guys from yesterday. (Only yesterday?? much has happened). We pay the full insurance in cash (400 Euro) and -- a day late -- get the car.
I am grateful for the delay, for now I am rested and better oriented.
| Birdwatching near Dingle |
For now, only two things matter.
ONE: The steering wheel is on the right, the gearshift is on the left, and the roads are reversed.
TWO: the car has A/C.
We take the M7 (a "divided motorway"), through a tunnel under the Shannon River and then take the regional road through many towns towards Ballyferriter. Stop at a cemetery to regroup, take some photos (lost -- sigh).
Another stop for a light meal -- cheese and fruit.
| On the road to Annuscaul (Panoramio photo) |
In Tralee we drive in circles, find food and toilets, call our host -- two hours to go.
Winding narrow roads, we barely see the landscape except in a map and mirrors.
| From An Spéice looking north shortly after our arrival |
Dingle town is crazy to drive through. We will be back in Dingle, much more than expected. But for now, it is a final hurdle.
We find Ballyferriter and An Spéice. Close to 8 p.m., we are greeted by Alice Hannafin, our host, with tea and muffins. This and our room and the view all are splendid.
Janet sleeps soundly, and I sleep as I will each night: a split shift. My early morning wakeful time is devoted to writing postcards or for the blog; the common room has a cozy corner with a reading lamp and is a perfect retreat.
14 July (Sunday)
Our first B&B breakfast, Janet has bacon and eggs, (and will almost every day), I have "a mini Irish': fried egg, bacon, (Canadian style), three types of sausage, (two are called puddings, because cereal is in the blend), along with o.j., canned citrus, cereal, and several types of dark and tasty toasted bread. My capacity is appalling.
Today we will stay nearby, recover. We have a spare bed and onto it we disgorge brochures and maps, trinkets and cash, electronics and optics, to inventory our posessions and devine our purpose. Midday we visit the museum. Janet being an upcoming student, we are admitted free. It is modest -- one room -- but includes remarkable artifacts, bits of history and geology. Reflecting later, what struck me most was not the actual museum contents, but the bilingual nature of the display, with everything in English and Irish.
| From the West Kerry Museum webpage |
Across from the museum is the church which we also visit, and nearby is one of Bf's three pubs.
Murphy's. It is busy, noisy with an important football game, the fish and chips and burger adequate, the mushroom soup wonderful.
| Hardy fushia, Dingle Peninsula |
Soon I will loose most all the photos (my photo journal) from our first few days in Bf.
| Fushia hedge, Ballyferriter |
But as I am ignorant of their future fate, I keep clicking, Janet also takes a few with her phone and these we still have.
In the evening another week-long guest arrives, another language student. This begins a nice little friendship.
No comments:
Post a Comment